Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pierre Hardy-ART FOR YOUR FEET

If this course has taught me one thing it is my serious lacking of knowledge in amazing footwear. Each week I will highlight one of my new loves--well, new to me!


SS 2010


Pierre Hardy is guilty of two things-- being a complete genius, and maintaining a rather exclusive clientele-until The Gap of course. Originally a student of dance and the fine arts, Hardy quickly found himself designing footwear for the eponymous Christian Dior design house in 1988 and continuing there for several years. Apparently intent on attaining the ultimate fashion hat-trick; Pierre also created the footwear and jewelry Collection for Hermes in 1990; finishing this amazing pedigree with a shoe collaboration at Balenciaga in 2001. Since 2007, Hardy has opened up to the masses with a rather successful collaboration with The Gap.



Pierre Hardy ignores fashion trends almost completely. That is how he retains the mastery of his own creations. He will reference Renaissance masters like Botticelli as well as other artists such as Daniel Buren. He will reference them only as a starting point, however. Using a glimmer, a glimpse of what strikes him from these artists, he then takes leaps and bounds into his own imagination where his own rules apply.

Balenciaga FW 2010

"I can draw on my bed, on my couch, on my dining-room table, in my car, anywhere; I don't care. I have no rules at all."

And that, my friends, is how Pierre Hardy can appeal to the masses and retain his exclusive aura.

No comments:

Post a Comment